I Learned Something New Today
November 29, 2010
I learned something new today. December 1st marks the 119 anniversary of the invention of basketball. This fact is particularly interesting as I am a KU alum and fan (I know, I know), and basketball has long been identified with KU. I thought I would share with you some facts about basketball that you can share with the family and friends during timeouts and halftime.
- James Naismith is credited with the invention.
- Coincidentally, he also founded the KU basketball program.
- He invented the game at the YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts.
- He was seeking a game to keep the students active on a rainy day.
- The first baskets were peach baskets.
- The first basketball was actually a soccer ball.
Happy gaming and fact-ing fellow basketball fans!
Blue Springs North Branch