How Well Do You Know Your Turkey?
November 21, 2011
As we sit down to eat dinner on Thanksgiving Day, we don’t stop to think about where our little dinner bird came from or facts about this bird. I found some fun facts about this famous Thanksgiving Day bird.
- Commercially raised turkeys cannot fly.
- Turkeys have poor night vision.
- A 16 week-old turkey is called a fryer, and a 5 to 7 month old turkey is called a young roaster. (That seems a little cruel to me.)
- The heaviest turkey ever raised was 86 lbs. (About the size of a large dog.)
- It takes 75-80 pounds of feed to raise a 30 lb. Tom Turkey.
- More than 45 million turkeys and 525 million pounds of turkey are eaten during Thanksgiving.
- Turkeys can drown if they look up while it is raining.
If you want to find out some "Turkey Facts" on your own, go to our catalog to explore our many different turkey books.
Camden Point Branch