"Here's Looking at You, Kid."
June 28, 2011
I recently watched Casablanca for the first time, and it was AMAZING. If you have never seen it, I only have one question; "what’s wrong with you"? Now that I’ve seen it, I can’t believe it took me so long. Do yourself a favor and watch it NOW. If you’re at work, go home. If you’re at home, sit down in front of the TV. If you’re driving, you shouldn’t be reading this anyway.
One of the (many many many) awesome things about this movie is the amount of familiar quotes it contains. There are tons of classic lines in this film—lines that many of us use every day. In fact, Casablanca has six lines on the American Film Institute’s list of 100 greatest movie quotes. If you’ve ever said any of the following phrases, you’ve been quoting it all along:
- "We’ll always have Paris."
- "Kiss me as if it were the last time."
- "Here’s looking at you, kid."
- "Round up the usual suspects."
- "I stick my neck out for nobody!"
- "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
- "Play it again, Sam." (which is actually a misquote!)
- "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- "I am shocked—shocked!—to find out gambling is going on in here!"
It’s a great movie, but don’t take my word for it. Watch it if you haven’t (or even if you have!), and be sure to tell us what you think!
Lee's Summit Branch