Gone to the Dogs
August 23, 2010
Are you a dog lover?
The following statistics were compiled from the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association 2009-2010 National Pet Owners Survey.
- There are approximately 77.5 million owned dogs in the United States.
- Thirty-nine percent of U.S. households own at least one dog.
- Most owners (67 percent) own one dog.
- Twenty-four percent of owners own two dogs.
- Nine percent of owners own three or more dogs.
- On average, owners have almost two dogs (1.7).
- The proportion of male to female dogs is even.
- Nineteen percent of owned dogs were adopted from an animal shelter.
- On average, dog owners spent $225 on veterinary visits (vaccine, well visits) annually.
- Seventy-five percent of owned dogs are spayed or neutered.
National Dog Day is August 26th. To celebrate at Weston, where every employee, except one, owns a dog, we have a fiction display about dogs and the roles they play in the story. Come in and check them out. They are a lot of fun to read. Especially if you are a dog lover like me.