Get Your Child Ready to Read!
March 28, 2013
If you frequent our storytimes, you know that the Library promotes early literacy. We offer tips and books that will help you help your child get ready to read. After all, reading is one of the most important building blocks for your child’s future.
Here are some of our tips written out for your convenience. We hope to see you at storytime.
- Talk, Talk, Talk—Vocabulary! The more you talk to them, the more vocabulary they learn!
- Tell Stories—Understanding sequence of events; stories have a beginning, middle, and end.
- Have Fun!—Read fun books! Make every experience with books positive.
- Notice Print—Point out the print in books, on signs… it’s everywhere!
- Look for Letters—Understanding that letters are different than words.
- Take Time to Rhyme—Be familiar with the sounds that make up words.
North Oak Branch