ESL Tales Continued
June 11, 2013
As I found out, there are a lot of different ways people from different cultures view our world. Take today's date for example.
- According to the Gregorian calendar (that Western countries use), today is 11 of June, 2013.
- According to the Julian calendar, it is 29th of May, 2013.
- Islamic calendar gives us 2 Sha'ban, 1434.
- In the Hebrew calendar, today is 3 Tammuz, 5773.
- Persian calendar - 21 Xordad, 1392.
- According to the Chinese calendar, now is Cycle 78, year 30 (Gui-Si), month 5 (Wu-Wu), day 4 (Wu-Shen)
It is rather interesting, is not it?
Language is another way of viewing the world. Probably, everybody knows that British English is different from the American English. People who studied the British English language have some funny stories to tell. Here is one of them. A person from Ethiopia moved to America and found a job. On the 1st day of work, he was asked by his supervisor if he had a pair of black pants. Since pants in British English mean underpants, our guy did exactly that - put on a black pair of underwear. Little did he know that his supervisor only wanted him to wear his black uniform.
There are a lot of examples how British English differs from American English. What is known as French fries here is known as chips there. And American potato chips are crisps for the British. American Main Street becomes High Street in Britain....Oh, wait... Is it the other way around? British High Street became Main Street on the American soil...