June 19, 2013
For those of you who like to read the book before the movie, here’s a head’s up. The movie version of Ender’s Game is scheduled to appear in theatres November 1, 2013. Many years ago, I had the privilege of meeting Orson Scott Card and discussing the prospect of doing a movie based on the book even back then. So for me, this has been a long wait!
This book has been a favorite among teen and adult fans of science fiction since its printing in 1985. It is the story of a young boy (a VERY young boy) who travels to a battle school in space to learn to command an army to fight a race of insect-like aliens. More than a story of a boy learning to command, however, it is a story of the struggle of the human spirit and the limits of human endurance.
For those of you who have read the book and would like to make sense of the myriad of sequels, they are as follows:
- Earth Unaware, Earth Afire and Earth Awakens (to be published in 2014) are prequels to Ender’s Game and cover the First Formic War.
- Ender’s Game, Ender in Exile, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide and Children of the Mind detail Ender’s life.
- Bean’s side of the events at the battle school are told in Ender’s Shadow.
- The events taking place on earth after the Bugger War involving the children of battle school as well as Peter Wiggin are told in Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets and Shadow of the Giant.
- Shadows in Flight is a novel about Bean’s children.
Still confused? Don’t know where to start? I would say, a safe bet would be to start with the novel that began it all….Ender’s Game.