Deaf Awareness Week
September 21, 2010
The last full week in September is Deaf Awareness Week. The Excelsior Springs Branch is honoring American Sign Language this week by displaying our wide array of books and video recordings on sign language. All of the materials can be checked out. Feel free to take the following quiz to see how much you know about deaf awareness.
1. What is American Sign Language (ASL)?
a. a code similar to Braille
b. a shortened form of English
c. a language utilizing space and movement to convey meaning
2. What percentage of Deaf people have Deaf parents?
3. ASL and Deaf culture are transmitted to deaf people from generation to generation primarily through
b. residential schools for the deaf
c. sign language teachers
4. Among ASL signers, finger spelling is used in mainly what way?
a. interchangeably with sign
b. as an artistic form of signing
c. to give proper names of people places and things
5. To get the attention of a deaf person who is looking the other way, you should
a. yell as loud as possible
b. tap him/her on the shoulder
c. wave in his/her face
ANSWERS: 1. c 2. a 3. b 4. c 5. b
Excelsior Springs Branch
Tags: sign language