College Basketball Fever
March 18, 2013
With the 2013 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament about to get underway, let's test your knowledge of the annual event:
1. What are two names to which this tournament is most commonly referred?
2. What is the purpose of the tournament?
3. How many teams will play in the tournament?
4. How are the participating teams chosen?
5. Which team holds the record for the most tournament championships?
6. Have any of our local college teams made it to the Championship Game?
1. "March Madness" and the "Big Dance"
2. To determine the national champion of the major college basketball teams
3. 68 (since 2011)
4. Thirty-one teams, the winners of their respective Division I conferences, are automatically in. The remaining 37 "at-large" teams are chosen by an NCAA selection committee, and announced on what has come to be known as "Selection Sunday."
5. UCLA, with 11 wins.
6. KU has played for the championship 9 times, winning 3 National Champion titles in 1952, 1988, and 2008. Kansas State has played in the Final Two once, losing to Kentucky in 1951. Missouri has never made it to the Championship Game.
If you feel yourself getting basketball fever, print a Tournament bracket, fill out the bracket with your intelligent, informed predictions (or guesses) as to which teams will make it to the "Sweet Sixteen," the "Elite Eight," and the "Final Four," and have fun with March Madness!
Blue Springs South Branch