Close the Windows and Lock the Doors!
October 25, 2010
I confess: I am a wimp and I scare easily. I once slept with the lights on for a week after watching the movie, Rosemary’s Baby. Riding the Ferris wheel scares me. That is why I turn to the experts, the Horror Writers Association and their Bram Stoker Award, to compile a list of audiobooks that will get your heart pumping and your flesh creeping this Halloween. Our audiobooks are eagerly waiting to see which brave soul they get to scare next!
If my list is too tame for you, you can visit their home page http://www.horror.org for more and probably scarier suggestions than mine. Good luck and remember to check under your bed before listening!
- Creepers by David Morrell: Frank Balenger is a reporter doing a Sunday magazine profile on urban explorers, better known as creepers. It's an illegal activity, but a very popular one in which adventure seekers invade crumbling old structures in search of thrills and perhaps a glimpse of the past.
- Dracula by Bram Stoker: Dracula chronicles the vampire's journey from Transylvania to the nighttime streets of London. There he searches for the blood of strong men and beautiful women while his enemies plot to rid the world of his frightful power.
- The Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill: Jude Coyne, an aging rock star, buys himself a dead man's suit. He acquires it online, lured by the promise that the dead man's ghost will be included in his purchase.
- The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub: Nora Chancel is rattled by the fact that four women from her hometown have recently been murdered. Called down to the police station to help with the investigation, she is kidnapped at gunpoint by the suspected murderer.
- Lisey's Story by Stephen King: Lisey's husband has been dead for two years, but his presence is felt. Lisey hears him so often in her head that when her catatonic sister, Amanda, begins speaking to her with Scott's voice; she finds it not so much unbelievable as inevitable. Soon, she's following a trail of clues that lead her to Scott's horrifying childhood and the eerie world called Boo'ya Moon, all while trying to help Amanda and avoid a murderous stalker.