Bring the Temperature Down on Your Spring Cleaning Fever
March 23, 2011
It’s that time of year again. The epidemic will soon be spreading. It’s called The Spring Cleaning Fever. I get it every year as soon as the weather starts to warm up. I want to go through those cluttered drawers, closets and the ever messy garage. I am searching for tips and ideas, so I go the Internet where I found a lot of useful information. Good Housekeeping had an article by Heloise entitled "Take Control of Clutter". One of the tidbits I gleaned from that information was when serious decluttering is in store, try the ABC method. Select a cabinet or closet that’s been bugging you. Take everything out and arrange items into three piles:
A. Always used
B. Used during the holidays and special occasion, or seasonally
C. Not seen or used in a year or so
Then do a final sort:
Step 1: Toss or give away C items unless they are valuable or have sentimental worth.
Step 2: Return B items to the back of the storage area.
Step 3. Place the A items in the front of the space so those items will be handy for immediate use
One of the most helpful tips I found on the Internet was a site with the following questions:
- When was the last time your used it?
- When will you (realistically) need it again?
- Why would you need it again?
- Who might ask for it?
- What would you need it for?
- Is it easily replaceable?
- What’s the worst thing that would happen if you got rid of it?
- Is it beautiful, useful, or loved?
I think these ideas will help a lot as I battle this fever. The library has some great remedies to bring this fever down to a normal temperature.
Check out the following titles:
- Winning the Clutter War by Sandra Felton
- Go Organize!: Conquer Clutter in 3 Simple Steps by Marilyn Boh
- 101 Ways to Clean Out the Clutter by Emilie Barnes
- The Everything Organizing You Home Book: Straighten Up the Entire House, From Cleaning Your Closets to Uncluttering Your Desk by Jason Rich
So, visit your local library for these very effective medications. In this case self- medicating is acceptable.