Book Club Cancelled, but the Discussion Lives On!
December 20, 2012
Our book club cannot meet tonight due to road conditions, but we will still discuss our book here. Below you'll find a summary of the book we read, Matched by Ally Condie and the questions to answer.
Summary: The idea for Matched came in 2008 when author Ally Condie's husband asked her, "What if someone wrote the perfect algorithm for lining people up, and the government used it to decide who you married, when you married, etc.?" That’s the world we find when Matched begins. Our hero, Cassia Reyes, is on her way to her matching ceremony with family, and a fellow attendee, Xander, and his family. Cassia and Xander are great friends, and yet she is still surprised to find she has been matched to him. However, when Cassia goes to view the information provided about her match, she sees another face and another set of information for a neighbor and schoolmate, Ky. Cassia’s story is one about finding love vs. having love assigned. It’s about being your own person in a world where every part of your life and death is mapped out by others.
- How does the Society of Matched compare with other dystopian rulers like the government of Panem?
- Cassia’s grandfather gave her a poem. What artifact would you pass down?
- What did you find most comforting about the world the Society built?
- What did you find most frightening?
- Ky or Xander?
- Are you planning to read the two sequels? If so, what do foresee for Cassia, Ky, and Xander?