Are You a Sinkie?
November 19, 2012
November 23rd is National Sinkie Day! A "SINKIE" is a person who occasionally dines over the kitchen sink. The day after Thanksgiving is the day "SINKIES" celebrate this special day. It coincides with Black Friday because many are in a rush that day, and they are grabbing a quick snack of leftovers. No joke! This is an actual day. It was founded in 1991 by The International Association of People Who Dine Over the Kitchen Sink.
There are also other variations of this practice:
- standing in front of the open refrigerator rummaging around in the leftovers
- drinking milk (or other beverage) straight from the carton
- eating on the run
- grabbing a jelly doughnut while racing out the door in the morning - late for work
- dashboard dining in the car
- having a desk lunch of M&Ms and Diet Pepsi from the vending machine at work
If you have done any of these, you are a "SINKIE." It’s OK because most of us are and don't even know it.
There are many cookbooks at MCPL that are for busy, on-the-go "SINKIES." Here are a few:
- Parents Need to Eat Too: Nap-Friendly, Cooking One-Handed Meals, and Time Saving Tricks in the Kitchen for New Moms by Debbie Koenig
- Home at 7 Dinner at 8 by Sophie Wright
- 100 Meals in Minutes by Ainsley Harriott
- Jamie Oliver’s Meals in Minutes by Jamie Oliver
Camden Point Branch