All I Want for Christmas…
December 02, 2013
If your family is like mine, when the holidays are getting ready to roll around, they start to ask, "What gifts do you want for the holidays?" When this happens, remember your genealogy wish list. Here are some ideas that might delight anyone working on their family tree.
- A new flash drive or an external hard drive to back-up your data.
- One-on-one time answering how-to computer questions for your genealogy apps. Grandkids are often great at this if they are into the tech world.
- Upgrade for your genealogy software.
- Specific genealogy books in either hard copy or digital format.
- Memoirs from an older family member – handing down the family heritage – you may have to assist with this, either by providing specific questions (MGC has books that have suggestions) or by recording (MGC has a service called Tell Me a Story where you can come here to have your story recorded by our staff).
- Membership to a specific county genealogical/historical society.
- Subscription to a genealogy periodical.
- Home subscription to online data bank such as ancestry.com or archives.com or other.
- MGC book bag or other item from the MGC “Store” – see them on our Pinterest Board.
- A little booklet of compiled favorite family recipes.
- Photographs of family members to be added to your tree.
- A coupon for companionship on a road trip to a courthouse or genealogical society library (or cemetery!!!).
- Mugs or T-shirts with genealogy sayings.
- Fancy pedigree chart.
- Digital camera (with GPS).
- Turn a family video into a DVD.
- Portable scanner, such as Flip-Pal.
- Super-Duper Magnifying Glass
- Charitable donation to a favorite society or library, such as MGC.
Midwest Genealogy Center