The 2013 Maker Faire Kansas City: Get Excited and Make Things
July 02, 2013
About a year ago, I wrote a blog post about Makers. Well, I finally made it to the Maker Faire KC. While many people associate the Maker movement with computers, robotics, electronics, and 3-D printing, Makers also include knitters, woodworkers, Lego fans, cosplayers, steampunkers, artists, LARPers, car customizers, upcyclers and farmers. In fact, anyone who has a desire to do-it-themselves is a potential Maker.
I consider myself a Maker. I’ve made my own beer and mead. I tie flies for fishing. I built a functioning crossbow made out of sticks, twine, duct tape, and tent stakes. I helped the boys in my Scout troop build a torsion catapult capable of throwing a hedge apple over 100 feet. I’ve been thinking about ways to adapt my 1960s vintage Minolta SLR lenses to the camera of my iPhone. I worship at the altar of Jamie and Adam. So I was ecstatic to see and meet so many other people who love to build, tinker, modify and create!
- Make Magazine
- The Best of Make
- The Best of Instructables, Volume 1
- Things That Go Boom: or Fly, Float, and Zoom!
- Craft Activism: People, Ideas, and Projects from the New Community of Handmade and How You Can Join In
- Upcycling: Create Beautiful Things with Stuff You Already Have
- MCPL DIY and Hobbies Databases
Now get excited and make things!