Library-By-Mail for the Homebound
What is it?
Books, audiobooks on CD, music on CD, and DVDs delivered to patrons who cannot get to a library branch because of health, mobility, age, permanent or temporary incapacity. Only residents of the library system's three-county service area who meet the qualifications are eligible.
How does it work?
- Register: Print and fill out the Library-By-Mail Application Packet (PDF, 65k). You can also call Library-By-Mail at 816-503-4175 to request these forms by mail. Please leave after-hours requests on the answering machine.
- Select your materials: You may request materials by title, subject, author, or type of material. The Library-By-Mail Readers Advisor will select the materials you request or recommend titles based on your expressed interests (mysteries, romance, westerns, etc) and mail them to you.
- Checking out materials: You may check out up to five items at a time and keep them for 6 weeks. We'll mail them to you! You will receive overdue notices for anything not returned on time, but no fines will be charged. However, bills will be issued for lost or damaged materials.
- Returning the items: Remove your address label from the outside pocket of the green mailing bag. Replace it with the return postage label which you received with your packing list. Place all items in the bag and mail it as you do any other item.
What do I pay?
- Cost: There is no mailing charge! It is free to receive and free to return.
Already registered for Library-By-Mail?
You can click below to request materials using our NEW online request form.