Library-By-Mail for the Homebound
What is it?
Books, audiobooks on CD, music on CD, and DVDs can be delivered to patrons who cannot get to a library branch because of health, mobility, advanced age, permanent or temporary incapacity. Only qualifying residents of the Library’s three-county service area are eligible for this free service.
Already registered for Library-By-Mail?
You can click below to request materials using our NEW online request form.
How does it work?
- Register for homebound services:
- or -
Print and fill out the Library-By-Mail Application Packet (PDF, 65k).
You can also call Library-By-Mail at 816.503.4175 to request these forms by mail. Please leave after-hours requests on the answering machine.
- Select your materials: You may request materials by title, subject, author, or type of material. The Library-By-Mail Readers Advisor will select the materials you request or suggest titles based on your expressed interests (mysteries, romance, westerns, etc) and mail them to you.
- Checking out materials: You may check out up to five items at a time and keep them for 6 weeks. We'll mail them to you! You will receive overdue notices for anything not returned on time, but no fines will be charged. However, bills will be issued for lost or damaged materials.
- Returning the items: Remove your address label from the outside pocket of the green mailing bag, flip over or remove the address label, and check that the Library label is facing out in the pocket. Use the zip-tie to lock the bag and return extra mailing cards. There is no mailing charge! It is free to receive and free to return.
Need additional information?
- User Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions (print the FAQs):
Who is eligible for the service?
Residents of the Mid-Continent Public Library District who are homebound and unable to go to the Library due to health issues.
How many items can I checkout?
You may have up to 20 items checked out at a time.
How long can I keep materials?
Library-By-Mail offers a 6-week checkout.
Can I renew my materials?
Yes, materials can be renewed twice and renewals are automatic so you never have to worry!
Are there overdue fees?
There are no overdue fines! You will be contacted by phone or letter if your materials are seriously overdue.
What about lost or damaged items?
The Library will notify you by mail when materials are lost or damaged.
How are materials delivered to me?
The United States Postal service will delivery materials to you in green, reusable bags.
Is there a charge for this service?
No, there is no charge to the customer. It is free to receive and free to return.
How do I return materials?
Flip over or remove the address label and check that the Library label is facing out in the pocket. Use the zip tie to lock the zipper bag.
Place the package where your mail is picked up and postal service will pick up the package free of charge. You can also call your local post office to arrange a pickup.
How do I order materials?
- Complete the survey when returning materials
- Leave a message at 816.503.4175
- Email: email@example.com
- Use the online ordering form.